boot error message

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Sep 28 07:58:16 PDT 2001

On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 09:50:00AM +0000, Dave Ayers wrote:
> I get this message when I boot 3.0-pre4 (installed per book):
>
> /etc/rcS.d/S200checkfs: Line 96: syntax error: unexpected end of
> file
>
> When I open checkfs in vim the last line is 95. Reading through
> the script, I can't find anything wrong. What should I be looking
> for that (apparently) isn't obvious?

How did you create the file? if you copy & pasted it from a book, it can
very well be that the file isn't properly created. The checkfs (and same
goes for other scripts) is a bit too large to fit into your copy&paste
buffer, so whatever you paste is truncated.

Try to re-create it and copy&paste in smaller chunks (do one screenfull at
a time to make sure you don't truncate things). If that doesn't work, let
us know and I'll scrutinize the script in the book to see if anything is
wrong there.

And yes a note should be added to the book that copy&pasting should be done
in small chunks.

PS: By the way, 3.0-pre4 are very old scripts, you really want to get the
latest ones from version 3.0

PS2: ftp.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs-bootscripts/ contains tarballs with the
scripts from the book so you don't have to copy&paste it.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org