Building LFS 3.0 from LFS 3.0-pre1

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Sep 25 08:55:39 PDT 2001

On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 08:20:52PM +1000, Simon Perry wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Twas just getting started on building my new LFS 3.0 system (I am currently using 3.0-pre1), and I've just found that the compilation of static Bash dies almost immediately after starting.

Why is it failing?

> I looked through the mail-list archives and have seen that it is due to stripping instructions from early versions of the LFS 3.0 book that trash the static libraries.

that was only an issue with lfs-3.0-pre3, not with pre1

> If this is true, what do I need to add / recompile for my 3.0-pre1 system to be capable of building 3.0 final?

you probably don't need to do anything, but you can always have a look at
http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/lfs-3.0pre3-upgrade.txt in case you
did more stripping than the pre1 told you to do.

> If something major like GLIBC needs to be re-built, can I safely upgrade the version on my 3.0-pre1 system to 2.2.4?

I wouldn't do that - my advise is stick with whatever version you have.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org