Installing lfs 3.0 and glibc-2.2.4 fails to configure due to old header files....

Chris Walker poser at slipjack.com
Tue Sep 25 03:05:28 PDT 2001

So,

I'm installing LFS 3.0 with a Mandrake 8 host system (gcc-2.96,
glibc-2.2.2).  All is well through the chroot (default optimization
only--CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS are unset).  When I attempt to build glibc
(using the script in lfs-commands-3.0/chapter6/glibc-2.2.4), I get the
following error:

running configure fragment for ../glibc-2.2.4/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux
checking installed Linux kernel header files... TOO OLD!
configure: error: GNU libc requires kernel header files from
Linux 2.0.10 or later to be installed before configuring.
The kernel header files are found usually in /usr/include/asm and
/usr/include/linux; make sure these directories use files from
Linux 2.0.10 or later.  This check uses <linux/version.h>, so
make sure that file was built correctly when installing the kernel
header
files.  To use kernel headers not from /usr/include/linux, use the
configure option --with-headers.

Did I miss something in Chapter 5?

Thanks,
-Chris