make menuconfig confusion

Debian User lfs17 at home.com
Sun Sep 23 15:23:17 PDT 2001

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 23, 2001 at 04:13:23PM -0500, Debian User wrote:
> > I tried to rebuild the kernel by running the script in chap 8.  But no
> > changes
> > were made to the kernel, or at least the changes I wanted.  And then
> > when
> > I run make menuconfig again it
> > does not remember the changes I made.  When I am in menuconfig I hit esc
>
> One of the commands you are running 'make mrproper'. This command will
> clean out the entire kernel source tree and bring it back to the state as
> it was when you first unpacked it. One of the things that is removed by
> 'make mrproper' is the .config file which has your configuration.
>
> Make a backup of that .config file (/usr/src/linux/.config) before you run
> make mrproper again. Or just don't run make mrproper. Often you can get
> away with not running it and the kernel will most of the times compile just
> fine.
>
> --
> Gerard Beekmans
> www.linuxfromscratch.org

> --

When I run 'make menuconfig' without 'make mrproper' it remembers the
settings.
But I am specifically trying to add vfat support.  In the .config file it
shows that
vfat support should be set, but when I compile the new kernel and reboot
I still
do not have vfat support.  It seems that 'make bzImage' must be reading some
other .config file entirely.  I have vfat support in my Debian potato dist
using the
same kernel.  I am copying bzImage to /boot/lfskernel.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org