make menuconfig confusion

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Sep 23 14:21:19 PDT 2001

On Sun, Sep 23, 2001 at 04:13:23PM -0500, Debian User wrote:
> I tried to rebuild the kernel by running the script in chap 8.  But no
> changes
> were made to the kernel, or at least the changes I wanted.  And then
> when
> I run make menuconfig again it
> does not remember the changes I made.  When I am in menuconfig I hit esc

One of the commands you are running 'make mrproper'. This command will
clean out the entire kernel source tree and bring it back to the state as
it was when you first unpacked it. One of the things that is removed by
'make mrproper' is the .config file which has your configuration.

Make a backup of that .config file (/usr/src/linux/.config) before you run
make mrproper again. Or just don't run make mrproper. Often you can get
away with not running it and the kernel will most of the times compile just
fine.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org