Kernel Modules: unresolved symbols.

Stefan Möller stefan.c.moeller at t-online.de
Wed Oct 31 05:58:12 PST 2001

Hi Mark,

> Just a thought.  Did you copy the System.map file across?
>
> I tend to keep my System.map files as /boot/System.map-x.y.z (where
> x.y.z is obviously the version number).

Yes, I copied the System.map file from /usr/src/linux to /boot, as described
in the LFS-Book.

> Sometimes it can help to run
>
> depmod 2.4.8 -a -F location-of-thecorrect-System.map-file

It worked flawless, but if I try "modprobe" I still have the same bunch of
unresolved symbols as described in my last mail. I don't want to compile the
modules in the kernel to skip the problem :))

I use RedHat 7.1 (Kernel 2.4.2-2) to build my LFS. I found one error which
appeared when I executed "make modules_install", maybe it is the key.

cd /lib/modules/2.4.8; \
mkdir -p pcmcia; \
find kernel -path '*/pcmcia/*' -name '*.o' | xargs -i -r ln -sf ../{} pcmcia
if [ -r System.map ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F System.map  2.4.8; fi
/bin/sh: /sbin/depmod: No such file or directory
make: *** [_modinst_post] Error 127

Any ideas?

TIA

Stefan Möller