(Keyboard | shell) problem

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Mon Oct 29 01:45:10 PST 2001

On 28 Oct 2001, at 20:53, Seth W. Klein wrote:

> Matthias Benkmann wrote:
> >
> > On 16 Oct 2001, at 23:53, Sébastien HINDERER wrote:
> >
> > >   On the Lfs, the home key works under the chell, but not the end key
> > >   that
> > > inserts a ~ (same problem with del) Does someone know what I can do?
> >
> > Search the archives for "inputrc".
> >
> > I don't see this on the FAQ. Why? Seems to me the question is asked at
> > least once every 2 weeks.
>
> Not quite every two weeks, i think, but close. It's not in the FAQ for a
> couple reasons:
>     One, i lack clue in this area and no one else has provided a
>         solution i can be sure of without that clue.

People have provided solutions every time the question came up. Someone
even posted an .inputrc that takes xterms into account (IIRC, maybe the
person in question can repost it to be attached to the FAQ). Anyway, a
simple pointer like "search the bash manpage and the LFS archives for
inputrc" would suffice if you don't want to write a more detailed entry.

>     Two, it doesn't belong in the FAQ because it involves setting
>         up very typical hardware (Home and Delete keys) to function
>         as normally expected.

I disagree.  It belongs in the FAQ because it *is* an FAQ. If people
started asking "How do I skin a cat?" every 2nd day, then this would need
to go in the FAQ because it's the FAQ's job to answer FAQ. The FAQ serves
to relieve the list of questions that have already been answered multiple
times and this is one of these questions.

MSB

----
For sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org