New Guy

gandolf57 at home.com gandolf57 at home.com
Thu Oct 25 15:36:32 PDT 2001

Hello all,

I have been using Linux and BSD in one flavor or another for about 5 or
6 years. So I am really interested in building my own version. I have
read over the documentation, and downloaded the files I need, and am
ready to start with this project.
I am using an MSI motherboard with the VIA 82C*** chipset. Everything
works great, but as of late, with the latest kernels, the AC97 onboard
sound has gotten broken.
Is this specific to the distributions or is it the kernel itself? Has
anyone had any luck with the 82cxxx_audio modules with 2.4 kernels? And
does it make a difference if it is compiled into the kernel vs. loaded
as a module?
I would really like to use the latest filesystems, ext3 to be specific,
but the soundcard issues make me hesitant.
Anyone with experience in this arena willing to offer help would be
greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Gandalf
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org