ethernet (card) problems

major nono m.vanderkok at hetnet.nl
Sat Oct 20 15:16:07 PDT 2001

I've just succesfully installed my own LFS on A Compaq Presario Desktop.
Some work, but it's very satisfying.

But I have a problem configuring my network. My NIC is a 3com 3c509b TPO
ISA.
I've compiled the driver into the kernel, and if I run dmesg | more, I can
see it is compiled and recognized because of the IO, IRQ and MAC address
found.
But when I try to run ifconfig to view the NIC's properties, My complete LFS
system hangs. Can't do anything, except for a reboot.

In order to make the card, I had to get it out of PnP mode, which I did. I
didn't use a script for configuring the card during boot, because I have to
use the DHCP protocol to get the information from my provider (a dutch cable
company).
Can anybody help me with this problem?

I'm running out of ideas, don't know what to do.

Major

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org