Receiving fatal error when trying to compile gcc-2.95-3

Erika Pacholleck pchllck at nexgo.de
Sat Oct 20 04:47:53 PDT 2001

[18.10.01 13:16 -0400] Randy Chambers <-- :
> patch -Np1 -i ../gcc-2.95.3-2.patch &&
> mkdir ../gcc-build &&
> cd ../gcc-build &&
> ../gcc-2.95.3/configure --prefix=/usr --enable-languages=c,c++ \
>    --disable-nls --disable-shared --enable-threads=posix &&
> make BOOT_LDFLAGS=-static bootstrap &&
> make prefix=$LFS/usr install &&
> cd $LFS/lib &&
> ln -sf ../usr/bin/cpp &&
> cd $LFS/usr/lib &&
> ln -sf ../bin/cpp &&
> cd $LFS/usr/bin &&
> ln -sf gcc cc
>
> I receive the following error message:
> expr.o: No space left on device
> /tmp/ccUoLZMj.s: Assembler messages:
> /tmp/ccUoLZMj.s:43506: FATAL: Can't write expr.o: No space left on
> device
> make[2]: *** [expr.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/usr/src/3.0/gcc-build/gcc'
> make[1]: *** [bootstrap] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/usr/src/3.0/gcc-build/gcc'
> make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2
>
> I followed the exact steps from
> http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/one-partition-hint.txt made the
> lfs.disk file the size of 750MB.
> I tried to compile this package twice and received the exact same error
> message.

I don't know this hint but tried a compile to a very limited partition.
So I twice (gcc + glibc) ran into the "No space left" and I did the
following which you might try (as long as you do the static programs
you can delete all kind of docs, they will be installed in the dynamic
building again): 1. remove all docs like man pages, info pages.
Then I did for gcc instead of
> make BOOT_LDFLAGS=-static bootstrap &&
  make BOOT_LDFLAGS=-static bootstrap-lean &&
This deletes files which are no longer used during make instead of
keeping them (never had any problems here with that). And 3.) check
you really deleted all sources which you do not need at the moment
(I only had that source untarred which I was actually going to compile,
all other stuff was on an extern source partition).

Hope this helps.
--
Erika Pacholleck <pchllck at nexgo.de> @@ -18,9 +18,12 @@ -p+pa -h+ho -c+ec
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org