init does'nt start

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Fri Oct 19 04:18:53 PDT 2001

On 19 Oct 2001, at 9:56, rudy vancaudenberg wrote:

> Haai,
>
> Finished building LFS (3.0 on a RH 7.1) on a i586,
> rebooting the system in LFS stops just before the init should start, where
> it says that 'auto: auto:: No such file or directory' Kernel panic ....
>
> I'm diggin' deep, but for the moment not found a sollution yet.
> Anyone knows where to look. Which script is starting init ???

Init is started directly by the kernel, not by a script. "auto" is a
parameter passed by LILO to the kernel which the kernel passes on to init.
Well, at least that's how it's supposed to work. In your case it seems the
kernel is trying to execute auto as a binary.

Could you post your lilo.conf please, so that we may have a look at it.

Could you also check whether /sbin/init (on your LFS partition!) exists
and is executeable

Finally, check whether you can boot the following way:
Interrupt LILO by pressing Ctrl when it boots and start your LFS boot
entry with  "init=/sbin/init" appended.

MSB

----
Objectivity is just collective subjectivity.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org