LFS Inquiry

Linux F Scratch lfsnewbie at edsamail.com.ph
Fri Oct 19 02:44:50 PDT 2001

Hello everybody!  =)

First of all, forgive me if my message sounds very newbie to you.  I'm really a newbie to Linux and I hope you will understand.

I have my first installed Linux Mandrake 8.1 dual booted with M$ Win98 since last 3 weeks ago.  And I'm just wondering if it would be possible for me to develop my own distro based on what packages I only need.  Actually, I still don't know yet in any programming languages especially that are in Linux.  My friend told me that it's better if I know Perl programming first before I pursue my plan.  Again, is it possible to develop my own distro eventhough I don't know anything about programming?

All I want is to have my own distro that will run on my i686 Intel Pentium III 800 Mhz with 512MB SDRAM and 20GB Seagate Barraccuda 7200 RPM IDE HDD.  And I want it to copy in a CD-ROM and make it bootable just like M$ Win98 and my Linux Mandrake 8.1.  Also, during the installation I want it to automatically set a different partitions.  I want it to be a very newbie friendly distro with a very minimal packages that will only suit to a simple desktop Linux operating system.

By the way, I'm still in my 3rd year high school and I'm having fun with the Open Source Softwares.

I hope you will have enough patience in answering my inquiries.  Your advice will be a great help for me.

Thank you very much...

Hail, Linux!  =)

P.S.

Can you recommend some sites where I can download FREE e-books on Perl and Shell programming?  =)

www.edsamail.com
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org