Odd command in fileutils install

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Oct 16 15:44:08 PDT 2001

On Tue, 16, Oct, 2001 at 06:31:04PM -0400, Jason M'Sadoques spoke thus..
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2001 00:22:06 +0200 Matthias Benkmann <matthias at winterdrache.de> wrote:
>
> > On 16 Oct 2001, at 18:17, Jason M'Sadoques wrote:
> >
> > > I am wondering what this command in the fileutils install is for, as it's
> > > not explained in the Command Explinations section: ln -sf ../../bin/install
> > > _ Is this correct? I would have though it should be more like ln -sf
> > > ../../bin/install install
> >
> > man ln
> >
> > MSB
> I know that ln is used to create symlinks. I did not question that aspect of the command.
> The question that I posed is if in fact the second argument to the command, specifically "_" is correct. I Also stated that
> this command, unlike every other command up to this point in the book that is new, is not documented in the Command
> Explinations section. So even if I "man ln" it doesn't tell my why this command is used in this particular manner in this
> particular instance.

In the book, there isn't the _ you refer to:

cd $LFS/usr/bin &&
ln -sf ../../bin/install

so all this does is create a symlink:
/usr/bin/install --> ../../bin/install

which works out as /usr/bin/install --> /bin/install

The second parameter isn't needed if you want to call the symlink the
same name as the original file.

Hope this helps

Mark

--