Installation suggestion for net-tools-1.60 ...

Erika Pacholleck pchllck at nexgo.de
Tue Oct 16 03:43:39 PDT 2001

[15.10.01 14:09 -0400] Gerard Beekmans <-- :
> On Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 01:13:56PM +0200, elko wrote:
> > I found a couple of mails from sept-2001 on the mailing-list
> > archive and see that the installation for net-tools still does not
> > include a better description for the config options:
>
> I'm not convinced we should. If you don't know what X25 is for example,
> I'll bet that you don't need it. As for most things in net-tools, if you
> need or use it, you surely know it. If not, answer whatever is the default.

I might be wrong but could it be related to this:
We configure the kernel first with the yes pipe which will result in
people never see all options and help texts explaining what all this
stuff is. So doing net-tools is the first time we really see words like
X25, wondering what the heck it is.

I agree to your way, never heard of it means no. But there are also
people who might think, never heard of it so better yes not to miss
anything.

Maybe a general line somewhere in the beginning pointing to the linux/
Documentation directory as a source for help would do. For myself I
always started searching in configure.help (and devices.txt) if I needed
to know what something is. Just an idea.
--
Erika Pacholleck <pchllck at nexgo.de> @@ -18,9 +18,12 @@ -p+pa -h+ho -c+ec
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org