Use of /opt

Erika Pacholleck pchllck at nexgo.de
Tue Oct 16 02:44:44 PDT 2001

[15.10.01 21:09 +0200] Matthias Benkmann <-- :
> On 15 Oct 2001, at 14:16, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> > /opt is meant like /usr/local (at least in my eyes, anything else wouldn't
> > make sense and FHS isn't known to make sense at times). It's to install
> > stuff that you personally install and is not done by your distribution's
> > intsallation tool.
>
> I think the difference is that in /opt you usually put big stuff that gets
> its own directory, such as /opt/kde.

I would agree to Matthias' view.
The /local seems to me to have the same structure as the root tree, so
everything is just installed all over the subdirs and its only purpose
seems to be, to keep things installed here away from package managers
which never deal with /local.
The /opt I see for everything which I call "closed system" and Matthias
calls big stuff with own directory. It purpose for me is to keep things
which have everything needed in its own subdir. So if you want to get
rid of it, just delete its top dir. (So for me it not so important how
big it is but whether I can put everything related to it into one subdir
which I can delete safely without destroying anything unrelated).
Just my view.
--
Erika Pacholleck <pchllck at nexgo.de> @@ -18,9 +18,12 @@ -p+pa -h+ho -c+ec
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org