Use of /opt

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Oct 15 11:16:49 PDT 2001

On Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 07:06:22PM -0400, Jason M'Sadoques wrote:
> I'm installing LFS 3.0 from an existing LFS 2.4.2 system. I noticed in the begining of installation that the directory /opt is
> created, in compliance to the FHS standard. I read the FHS standard regarding /opt, but I'm not sure that I understand what it
> is saying.
>
> I have a couple of questions regarding /opt. It says in the FHS document that /opt is the location for add-on application
> software packages. What exactly does that mean? What software is considered add-on, everything after the base LFS install?

/opt is meant like /usr/local (at least in my eyes, anything else wouldn't
make sense and FHS isn't known to make sense at times). It's to install
stuff that you personally install and is not done by your distribution's
intsallation tool.

Well, that's where it begins: you are the distribution's installation tool,
so you shouldn't have a need for /usr/local and/or /opt and everything
could go in /usr (my /opt and /usr/local are symlinks to /usr).

Or you could look at it like "what the book installs is the distribution,
so that goes in /usr. Everything beyond the book is me doing it, so goes to
/usr/local or /opt".

> The reason I'm asking is that I am not installing LFS onto a single partition, currently I have it set up to be installed on
> four partitions, one each for /, /home, /usr, and /usr/src. With my current 2.4.2 system I have been installing all of my
> software in /usr. I have a relatively small partition for / because that has been sufficient for my lfs 2.4.2 install, but if I
> need to install a number of things in /opt it would be nice to know prior to finishing up the LFS install, so I can adjust my
> partitions.

I'd put /opt on a seperate partition if you decide to use it.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org