Use of /opt

Jason M'Sadoques jsado at mediaone.net
Sun Oct 14 16:06:22 PDT 2001

I'm installing LFS 3.0 from an existing LFS 2.4.2 system. I noticed in the begining of installation that the directory /opt is
created, in compliance to the FHS standard. I read the FHS standard regarding /opt, but I'm not sure that I understand what it
is saying.

I have a couple of questions regarding /opt. It says in the FHS document that /opt is the location for add-on application
software packages. What exactly does that mean? What software is considered add-on, everything after the base LFS install?

The reason I'm asking is that I am not installing LFS onto a single partition, currently I have it set up to be installed on
four partitions, one each for /, /home, /usr, and /usr/src. With my current 2.4.2 system I have been installing all of my
software in /usr. I have a relatively small partition for / because that has been sufficient for my lfs 2.4.2 install, but if I
need to install a number of things in /opt it would be nice to know prior to finishing up the LFS install, so I can adjust my
partitions.

Thanks.
--
MACINTOSH = Machine Always Crashes If Not The Operating System Hangs
"Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code." - Dave Olson

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org