Installation suggestion for net-tools-1.60 ...

elko elko at home.nl
Sun Oct 14 04:13:56 PDT 2001

I found a couple of mails from sept-2001 on the mailing-list
archive and see that the installation for net-tools still does not
include a better description for the config options:
  http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/view/cvs/chapter06/net-tools.html

Unfortunately I could not find this item in bugzilla
(user incompetence ;|), so I don't know if it's in there...

I first did a `yes "" | make config' to accept all the defaults,
but changed my mind when I see this in the output:
  Does your system support GNU gettext? (I18N) [n]
  ..
  IP Masquerading support (HAVE_FW_MASQUERADE) [n]

We install gettext, so that's a wrong default I think
(was also mentioned in the mailing-list archive).

That masquerading option, could someone explain what impact this
will have on a tool like ifconfig? Will I not be able to use
MASQ in the kernel if I "just say No" here?

--
ElkOS: 1:12pm up 2 days, 13:58, 3 users, load average: 0.47, 0.60, 0.52
bofhX: Server depressed, needs Prozak

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org