Difference between CVS and Normal LFS

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Oct 11 10:12:13 PDT 2001

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 01:02:09PM +0530, Vijay Ananth.K wrote:
> Dear Sir,
> 	I am a new entrant to LFS and this is my second mail to the support. When I
> read the forward written by Mr. Gerard Beekmans, I almost felt it is mine. I
> want to participate and contribute to this LFS also. As a first step of
> participation I have started the activities to install my own shinny LFS.
>
> 	I recently downloaded the LFS Ver 3.0 from one of your mirror ftp site. But
> in the same ftp site I found a similar directory called CVS. What is the
> difference between these two packages. And also advice me which package I
> should use now. What is the expansion of CVS.

When a book version has been released, like version 3.0, LFS development
doesn't just stop. We continue to make changes to the book and those
changes are stored in CVS, which stands for Concurrent Versions System (see
http://www.cvshome.org). This allows multipe people to make changes to the
book simultanously. This would be harder if the book's XML source code
resides on my own harddisk where nobody can get to it.

Once a day, whatever is in CVS at the moment a script runs on the
linuxfromscratch.org server will be used to build that day's CVS snapshot.
Whatever is in CVS is what is currently being developed towards a new
release (3.1 will be the next one). Often what is in CVS is stable, but
sometimes it may not be as we're making some chagnes that may take a few
days to be completed.

If you want to use the latest book's contents, use the CVS packages. If you
don't care about the 'bleeding edge' use the 3.0 book. I do advise to use
CVS, it's newer than 3.0, has changes that you might benefit from. Look at
the changelog in chapter 1 of the CVS book and see what has been changed
since 3.0 and make a decision whether or not CVS is good for you.

> 	And the glibc-crypt-2.1.tar.gz is having some license related read me. Can
> I use the software (I have already downloaded), if so which is version
> should I download to use with LFS Ver 3.0

The version you need to use with LFS is mentioned in chapter 3 of the book.
glibc-crypt is not something you should use (not anymore that is). Right
now we use Glibc version 2.2.4, and the crypt part is already built-into it
by default.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org