Unable to setup the base system

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Oct 10 07:53:03 PDT 2001

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 03:32:52PM +0530, Indus Teqsite Pvt. Ltd wrote:
> Dear Sir,
> 	I am new to this user group. I recently downloaded the lfs ver 3.0 archive
> from the ftp site and started using it. As mentioned in your document, I
> installed a working version of Redhat Ver 7.1 and created and formatted a
> partition for installing the lfs ver 3.0. As a first step I wanted to get
> the bash login. So I created all the necessary directories, I copied the
> existing /dev directory to the $lfs(/mnt/hda6) partition. I compiled the
> sysVinit, bash and created the (/etc) passwd, group and inittab in the
> respective directories. I updated the lilo.conf file to boot the root
> /dev/hda6.
> Now, I rebooted the system and selected to boot my new lfs. The kernel
> booted successfully and it reported the following error. Please advice on
> solving this problem, because I am not able to proceed further.

Glibc hasn't been installed yet, so you will need to run "sulogin -e" in
order to have the passwd file be found.

But, why run sulogin, there's no real point to it at this moment. Just run
bash to get a shell. It's not that you are at risk other people trying to
logon.

This is a very unusual procedure to install LFS. It certainly isn't how the
lfs book does it, so i hope you have thought it through?

For example, have you compiled a static gcc, binutils and more like that?

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org