Printing Bootscript error messages to file

Debian User lfs17 at home.com
Tue Oct 9 20:53:40 PDT 2001

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 05:58:18PM -0500, Debian User wrote:
> > It seems to me like something must be wrong with dmesg design if it prints
> > standard out messages of bootscripts but not standard error messages of
>
> You're misunderstanding. dmesg does _not_ print any bootscript messages. It
> only prints the kernel ring buffer which contain the messages you see after
> you press enter at lilo and before /sbin/init is started by the kernel. If
> you later insert kernel modules, those message may end up in the kernel
> ring buffer too. But there is nothing else that would print messages to the
> kernel ring buffer.
>
> Perhaps there's a program that can send messages to the kernel ring buffer
> (like there's a logger program to write to the system logs in /var/log
> without going through the syslog daemon, and no 'logger' can't be used by
> us because errors can appear when nothing has been mounted in read-write
> mode yet).
>
> An option could be mount tmpfs if your kernel supports it. Make it say 50
> KB which should be enough to write a a few files to that contain error
> messages from boot scripts, provided the system is able to boot far enough
> for you to retrieve them.
>
> --
> Gerard Beekmans
> www.linuxfromscratch.org

> --

I am somewhat confused, as bootscript messages are not going to dmesg.
I think that bootscript functions are calling functions which do print to
dmesg.
For example, "Activating Swap" is in bootscripts and "Adding Swap" then comes
up in dmesg.

Whatever, I dont understand why Linux is not designed so bootscript errors
are in dmesg.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org