Printing Bootscript error messages to file

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Oct 9 17:47:51 PDT 2001

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 05:58:18PM -0500, Debian User wrote:
> It seems to me like something must be wrong with dmesg design if it prints
> standard out messages of bootscripts but not standard error messages of

You're misunderstanding. dmesg does _not_ print any bootscript messages. It
only prints the kernel ring buffer which contain the messages you see after
you press enter at lilo and before /sbin/init is started by the kernel. If
you later insert kernel modules, those message may end up in the kernel
ring buffer too. But there is nothing else that would print messages to the
kernel ring buffer.

Perhaps there's a program that can send messages to the kernel ring buffer
(like there's a logger program to write to the system logs in /var/log
without going through the syslog daemon, and no 'logger' can't be used by
us because errors can appear when nothing has been mounted in read-write
mode yet).

An option could be mount tmpfs if your kernel supports it. Make it say 50
KB which should be enough to write a a few files to that contain error
messages from boot scripts, provided the system is able to boot far enough
for you to retrieve them.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org