Link problem with shadow-4.0.0

J. Jones jjones at darkside.dynup.net
Mon Oct 8 19:12:53 PDT 2001

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 03:56:35AM +0200, Tomasz K?oczko wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Oct 2001, scott wrote:
>
> > Hi. I think I have encountered an error in src/Makefile (or perhaps
> > lib/Makefile or configure?). I receive the following error when trying
> > to link src/.libs/groups:
> >
> > gcc -ffast-math -mpentium -s -o .libs/groups groups.o  -L/usr/lib
> > ../libmisc/.libs/libmisc.so ../lib/.libs/libshadow.so -lcrypt
> > /ilbld/spec2/tmp/shadow-4.0.0/libmisc/.libs/libmisc.so
> > ../libmisc/.libs/libmisc.so: undefined reference to `utent'
> > ../libmisc/.libs/libmisc.so: undefined reference to `pwent'
> > ../libmisc/.libs/libmisc.so: undefined reference to `FascistCheck'
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > make: *** [groups] Error 1
> >
> > I can add "-lcrack" to find the reference to "FascistCheck", but I
> > have not yet found symbols for utent/pwent.
>
> It is known problem. Sorry but current version have only useable
> configuration with PAM enabled. With PAM enabled You dont't need cracklib
> support (cracklib checking can be performed by pam_cracklib
> module). If You want/can fix this - be welcome.
>
> For fix linking with FascistCheck symbol You must add in
> libmisc/Makefile.am:
>
> libmisc_la_LIBS = $(LIBCRACK)
>
> afyer this is neccessary automake files by "automake -a -c".
>
> My main goal for 4.0.0 was fixing all PAM related things. All other cases
> was lover prority.

Even with PAM enabled, those linking issues with libmisc.so were still
there.  If you choose to build a shared libshadow, you also get a shared
libmisc, which I'm hoping is a mistake.  Are we really wanting to
install libmisc?

Are you the new maintainer? If so, why wasn't the "fix" for login.c
bailing out if it couldn't chmod() the tty included? That only happens
if /dev is on a read-only filesystem, which login has no problem with.
If I recall, it was just a simple && errno != EROFS on the chmod() call.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org