Link problem with shadow-4.0.0

J. Jones jjones at darkside.dynup.net
Mon Oct 8 17:56:40 PDT 2001

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 07:46:42PM -0500, scott wrote:
> Hi. I think I have encountered an error in src/Makefile (or perhaps
> lib/Makefile or configure?). I receive the following error when trying
> to link src/.libs/groups:
>
> gcc -ffast-math -mpentium -s -o .libs/groups groups.o  -L/usr/lib
> ../libmisc/.libs/libmisc.so ../lib/.libs/libshadow.so -lcrypt
> /ilbld/spec2/tmp/shadow-4.0.0/libmisc/.libs/libmisc.so
> ../libmisc/.libs/libmisc.so: undefined reference to `utent'
> ../libmisc/.libs/libmisc.so: undefined reference to `pwent'
> ../libmisc/.libs/libmisc.so: undefined reference to `FascistCheck'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [groups] Error 1
>
> I can add "-lcrack" to find the reference to "FascistCheck", but I
> have not yet found symbols for utent/pwent. I am using glibc-2.4, and
> Linux kernel 2.4.10-ac7. Can you tell me what to change, or fix the
> configure/Makefile? Let me know if you need more info. Thanks.
> ---scott

Same here.  I am thinking it's been packaged incorrectly.  Surely shadow
doesn't intend to install a library named misc, and if they do, I'll
stick with the last "release" until they are forced not to ;).

BTW, utent & pwent are external vars that should be defined by what's
using libmisc.a (that's how the last release was, anyway).

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org