glibc-2.2.4 / configure hangs

Wolfgang Kerler wolfgang.kerler at epost.de
Mon Oct 8 14:43:13 PDT 2001

Hello!

I know there have been several postings about glibc in the last weeks, but I
haven't found a solution for my actual problem there, so I am ask another
question concerning glibc:

I trying to set up a new LFS-3.0-system from my running LFS-3.0-rc1-system
(on the same machine, second harddisk) and all worked quite fine up to
chapter 6.
Running the configure script (after doing chroot) as it is described in the
book, I get the following messages:

--- (snip) ---
checking for install-info... /usr/bin/install-info
checking for old Debian install-info... no
checking for bison... no
checking for signed size_t type...

And thats it!
The configure script stops working at this point! After pressing ctrl-d it
continues, but I don't think this is the way configure should work!
--- (after pressing ctrl-d) ---
                                                 no
checking for libc-friendly stddef.h... yes
checking whether we need to use -P to assemble .S files... no
checking whether .text pseudo-op must be used... yes
checking for assembler global-symbol directive... .globl
checking for .set assembler directive... no
checking for .symver assembler directive... yes
checking for ld --version-script... yes
checking for .previous assembler directive... yes
checking for .protected and .hidden assembler directive... yes checking for
-z nodelete option... no
checking for -z nodlopen option... no
checking for -z initfirst option... no
checking for -Bgroup option... yes
checking whether cc puts quotes around section names... no
checking for assembler .weak directive... yes
checking for ld --no-whole-archive... yes
checking for gcc -fexceptions... yes
checking for DWARF2 unwind info support... static
checking for __builtin_expect... no
checking for local label subtraction... no
checking for libgd... no
checking size of long double... 0
running configure fragment for
../glibc-2.2.4/linuxthreads/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux
running configure fragment for ../glibc-2.2.4/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux
checking installed Linux kernel header files...

The next stop, same problem as above. I think the kernel header files (2.4.9,
but this can't cause these troubles, can it?) are in the correct place; and
after pressing ctrl-d again, the script continues:

                                                             2.0.10 or later

checking for symlinks in /usr/include... ok
running configure fragment for ../glibc-2.2.4/sysdeps/unix/common
running configure fragment for ../glibc-2.2.4/sysdeps/unix
running configure fragment for ../glibc-2.2.4/sysdeps/generic
checking stdio selection... libio
checking for old glibc 2.0.x headers... no
checking whether -fPIC is default... no
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status

So - does anybody know how to fix this  problem with configure?
Or should I start "make" anyway?
It would be nice to hear your opinions.

Oh, I think I will try tomorrow - it's nearly midnight!

Wolfgang

P.S.: Perhaps my computer is too tired to work properly? ;-)

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org