Depmod (was loopback related error)

Cameron Hooper cameron at hooper.net
Sun Oct 7 20:08:38 PDT 2001

On Thursday 04 October 2001 11:39 pm, you wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 10:23:27PM -0400, Cameron Hooper wrote:
> > depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> > /lib/modules/2.4.8/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/cpuid.o
> > depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> > /lib/modules/2.4.8/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/microcode.o
> >            [large list of similar errors snipped ]
> >
> > I've searched the FAQ :-) and can't find an answer.  Any suggestions?
>
> Have you searched the online mailing list archives yet, using
> http://search.linuxfromscratch.org ?
>
> Reading the modutils package's documention may help towards finding out
> what the error means.

Okay, I've explored the sources you mention. I didn't understand all I read
but it seemed this error is the result of missing dependencies. Seems strange
that every module should have this problem, but ...

Anyway, I recompiled the kernel trying to be more careful. As a result, the
problem seems to have gone away. Glad it's gone, just wish I had a better
understanding of it exact nature.

Thanks for your help.

Cameron
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org