losing confidence in lfs

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Oct 7 12:02:24 PDT 2001

On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 02:40:40PM -0400, Matt Harrington wrote:
> i am quickly losing my confidence in lfs.  i was under the understanding
> that lfs was more adaptable because not only could i customize things with
> the help of lfs documentation, but i could do it on many systems.  however,
> i'm finding many of the tarballs from lfs contain ix86 asm meaning that
> they'r useless to me being a mac user.  are there any other mac users out
> there that have a comment or could offer some help?

Let me first point out that the tarballs aren't from LFS. They are the
official packages as they appear on the official download sites for said
package. ftp.linuxfromscratch.org just mirrors them for your convenience.
If there are any patches, they are provided seperately.

So, if something doesn't compile on a Mac, then the best place would be to
check out if the maintainer of a package has Mac patches you can try out.
There are not many Mac users who are using LFS. The ones who do use Mac's
haven't reported serious problems, and since I myself don't have a Mac,
there's nothing I can put in the book if nobody maintains it.

LFS used to have a seperate PPC book, but it wasn't maintained properly.
Main LFS was 4 releases further ahead than the PPC version was, so I had to
drop it.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org