unable to login after reboot

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Oct 7 08:39:29 PDT 2001

On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 03:54:10PM +0200, Klaus Sausen wrote:
> after reboot login prompt appears,
> "(none) login:"
> but trying root with the right pw gives a
> "Unable to change tty /dev/tty1: No such file or directory"
> but /dev/tty1 exists, as do the other
> a new login prompt appears
>
> strange is, that INIT directly enters runlevel 3 after the kernel freed
> unused mem,

Check your $LFS/etc/inittab file, something's probably wrong there. Or
$LFS/etc/rcS.d/ doesn't contain any valid symlinks. Right now the rc and
rcS script silently ignore broken symlinks (which is a bad thing, it will
fixed soon) which makes it appear it's not entering rcS.d

> (hopefully i didnt post that twice since i got a bit confused with my
> mail settings)

we got it twice, but don't worry about it.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org