Gcc version not found

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Oct 5 06:38:51 PDT 2001

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 12:29:50PM +0200, rudy vancaudenberg wrote:
> I reached the point off installing software on the chrooted part off my
> lfs-system. While running the commands to install Glibc-2.2.4 the action stops at
> the point where there seems to be something wrong with gcc.(followed exact
> instruction in 3.O book)
> The version number can't be found according to the output on the screen. I
> checked the file /usr/include/linux/version.h and nothing seems to be wrong
> there.

that's the kernel version, not the gcc version. Totally different package.

> Entering gcc or cpp after the prompt , bash tells there is no such file.
> Funny enough when I reboot and enter $LFS/usr/bin/gcc or cpp there's no problem.

Then GCC isn't statically linked. Exit chroot, run "ldd $LFS/usr/bin/gcc".
If it's dynamically linked, reinstall GCC in chapter 5. Make sure you
didn't make any typo's.

The fact that you can run it fine outside chroot is because your host
distribution has Glibc installed, so you can run a dynamically linked
program. Inside chroot Glibc isn't installed yet, so this won't work. The
message "no such file or directory" in this case doesn't mean that
$LFS/usr/bin/gcc is missing, but that /lib/ld-linux.so.2 is missing.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org