Minimum Linux-installation for embedded project

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Oct 4 09:37:42 PDT 2001

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 10:42:59AM +0200, Stephan Henningsen wrote:
> I read on the LFS homepage that someone had built an LFS
> system with Apache at only 5 MB of size.  Can I download
> this anywhere, so I don't have to build it myself, in case
> my machine keeps failing these builds?

No, I didn't keep any of those files. It was just a proof of concept (so I
could put that note in the introduction that it really is possible, etc).

What I did was the long route (was just a proof of concept like I said, so
I didn't take the time to refine it, automate it, make it easy to do, etc).

I installed a normal LFS system + apache and began stripping the system
down. Begin by removing all static libraries, man pages, info pages, header
files, kernel source, etc.

Then enter /lib /bin /sbin /usr/lib /usr/bin and /usr/sbin and remove all
the files that weren't needed to operate Apache. I did keep a few programs
like 'ls' 'mv' and such to make life a bit easier but all the rest - gone.

Then strip -g on all libraries and strip --strip-unneeded on all the
programs. I ended up with a system under 10 MB. I could've stripped some
more, like removing more of Glibc in /lib (i removed some, but not
everything that could have been), or dump Glibc and install a tiny glibc
version like ucglibc or something like that. And dump fileutils/sh-utils
and install a package like busybox. The busybox program is smaller than
'ls' and does everythign that fileutils does and a few tasks from sh-utils
I believe.

This system could then be transfered to an ipaq or whatever. If you have
some more room available one could even install qt-embedded with konqueur.
Would be a nice setup.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org