binutils

Cameron Hooper cameron at hooper.net
Wed Oct 3 21:36:42 PDT 2001

On Friday 28 September 2001 01:14 am, you wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 12:41:11AM -0400, Cameron Hooper wrote:
> > Configuring for a i686-pc-linux-gnu host.
> > Created "Makefile" in /mnt/lfs/usr/src/binutils-2.11.2 using "mt-frag"
> > Configuring intl...
[snip]
> > And so it repeats.
> >
> > So I read the readme and it recommends I do the following
>
> does binutils-2.11.2/intl exist? If not, then something must have gone
> wrong during unpacking of the tarball. Try to unpack it again.

Thanks to those who replied to my question and sorry for the long delay in
acknowledging their help.

The problem has resolved itself. There was nothing wrong with the unpacking.
After many fruitless hours I decided to try again after logging in as root,
rather than just using 'su'. As soon as I did that the problem went away and
I now have a brand new LFS Linux installation on my machine.

I should point out that I use gnome when logged in as root as opposed to kde
when logged in as a normal user. I suspect it was the switch in desktops that
did the trick. I have not attempted the obvious experiment of logged in as a
normal user using gnome, su-ing to root, and trying it all again. Once I got
it to work I wanted to just keep going.

I think the problem is not KDE, but rather KDE on my desktop. It's been
behaving badly lately.

Finally thanks to those responsible for the LFS project. This is a great way
to learn more about linux. It's already sent me back to the book "Running
Linux" to learn more about startup scripts.

Cheers,

Cameron
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org