Problems compiling GCC

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Oct 3 09:30:11 PDT 2001

On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 05:10:05PM +0100, Carl Hetherington wrote:
> I've got to the stage of building GCC 2.95.3 with my chrooted LFS
> directory, but make bootstrap gives me
>
> ... stuff ...
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/gcc-build/gcc'
> cd ../../gcc-2.95.3/gcc; autoconf
> /bin/sh: autoconf: command not found
> make[1]: *** [../../gcc-2.95.3/gcc/configure] Error 127
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/gcc-build/gcc'
> make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2
>
> I haven't installed autoconf into my LFS system yet as it comes later in
> the LFS-book chapter!  I assume that either I need autoconf to build GCC,
> or that GCC can be told not to use autoconf.

GCC shouldn't use autoconf, unless you did something to gcc and now it
thinks that it needs autoconf. Did you apply a patch other than the one
that's mentioned in the lfs book? It can also be caused by the fact that a
configure.in file has a newer timestamp than a configure file, in which
cause 'configure' thinks it needs to be re-built. Perhaps you opened a
configure.in file and saved it (even though you may not have made changes,
the timestamp would have been updated in that case).

And, did you remove gcc-build after you finished with it in chapter 5?

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org