troubleshooting-upgrading

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Oct 2 07:19:00 PDT 2001

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 12:55:55PM +0300, Aggelos wrote:
> Mounting other file systems... modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module nls_cp437
>
> Setting clock... modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-10-135

nls_cp437 is some locale setting that you probably enabled in your kernel.
If you don't need/use it, go to kernel config, disable it.

char-major-10-135 refers to the RTC device through /dev/rtc - perhaps you
enabled rtc support in the kernel as a module, but didn't load the module
before running the setclock script. Or /dev/rtc doesn't exist

> And another question: How should someone find his way in a newer edition of the lfs-book, in order to see what changes have been introduced,

> and probably try to bring his lfs in a more or less updated state ? I have read the changelog part of the lfs-book, but I don't find its format to be so clear for someone not experienced in linux.

Well the changelog is the only and best place to go to find out what was
changed since the last version. It quickly explains in which chapter and
section something was updated. You can then judge whether you want to
reinstall the package, or re-create the bootscripts, or whatever. If in
doubt just reinstall any package mentioned in the changelog and you'd be
well on your way keeping it up to date.

If you don't find the format clear then suggest a better format.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org