troubleshooting-upgrading

Aggelos agg at tfz.net
Tue Oct 2 02:55:55 PDT 2001

Hello all,

I need some help on the following:

I installed lfs-3.0-pre4 and I was getting the following messages (during the end of the booting phase):

/etc/rcS.d/S200checkfs: line 96: syntax error: unexpected end of file

Remounting root file system in read-write mode...

Mounting other file systems... modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module nls_cp437

Setting clock... modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-10-135

Then I updated the bootscripts to version lfs-3.0 (from lfs-bootscripts-3.0.tar.bz2), and the error about checkfs disappeared, but the last two lines still exist:

Mounting other file systems... modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module nls_cp437

Setting clock... modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-10-135

My /etc/fstab file:

# Begin /etc/fstab

/dev/hda7 / ext2 defaults 1 1
/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ext2 defaults 0 0
/dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 ext2 defaults 0 0
/dev/hda3 /mnt/ntfs ntfs ro 0 0
/dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6 ext2 defaults 0 0
/dev/hda8 /mnt/arxeio vfat defaults 0 0

# End /etc/fstab

What should I do to trace the problem down?

And another question: How should someone find his way in a newer edition of the lfs-book, in order to see what changes have been introduced,

and probably try to bring his lfs in a more or less updated state ? I have read the changelog part of the lfs-book, but I don't find its format to be so clear for someone not experienced in linux.

Thank you,

Aggelos.