installing Bzip2-1.0.1

rudy v rudyvanc at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 2 02:48:02 PDT 2001

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 04:29:49PM +0200, ratteman
wrote:
> Last week I started building a LFS just to learn
more about Linux. For every
> step in the book I want to take, I've to go back
five and learn. Now I reached
> a point I'm blocked.
>
> I'm installing on a minimum RH-installation (0.5G)
and a LFS (0.7G) on a
> compaq Deskpro with 40M ram and a 166 processor.
>
> Now it seems that after installing Bzip2 the
programs that should be moved are
> not installed in $LFS/usr/bin but in /usr/bin
instead

> Anyone has a clou?

When you typed the commands, did you type $LFS
literally? $LFS may not have
been set to /mnt/lfs or wherever your LFS partition is
mounted. So either
don't use $LFS, and whereever you read $LFS in the
book replace it with
your mount point (this is clearly explained in chapter
2, section "About
$LFS"), or make sure $LFS is always set. You could put
it in your
$HOME/.bash_profile and $HOME/.bashrc files.

--
Gerard Beekmans

Hello,

I know about the $LFS and use the path (/mnt/lfs)
everywhere needed. I checked the filesystem on my
computer and found that binutils (the one created
before) was created on the right
spot(/mnt/lfs/usr/bin/...).

further information: I folow 3.0 lfs book and instal
from the 3.0-rc2 package in wich Bzip2-1.0.1 is the
version I installed.

Is it possible there might be a difference in using
PREFIX=$LFS/usr and prefix=$LFS/usr
As I'm reading trough the Makefile off Bzip2  almost
halfway I read: "PREFIX=/usr" . Does that mean the
location is unconditionaly set to /usr or does the
--PREFIX.... in the installationcommands changes this
?

Thanks
Rudy