options in /etc/fstab about vfat filesystem

arbeizaf at ono.com arbeizaf at ono.com
Mon Oct 1 13:15:17 PDT 2001

----- Mensaje Original -----
Remitente: Gerard Beekmans <gerard at linuxfromscratch.org>
Fecha: Lunes, Octubre 1, 2001 4:02 pm
Asunto: Re: options in /etc/fstab about vfat filesystem

> On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 03:50:44PM -0400, arbeizaf at ono.com wrote:
> > /dev/hda2 /mnt/datos vfat
> > user,umask=000,fmask=111,dmask=000,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-
> 1 0 0
>
> what is fmask and dmask supposed to do? I can't find anything about
> it in
> the mount man page

> > /dev/hda2 /mnt/datos vfat
> > user,umask=000,fmask=111,dmask=000,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-
> 1 0 0
>
> what is fmask and dmask supposed to do? I can't find anything about
> it in
> the mount man page

dmask and fmask set the bitmask of the permissions, just as umask do,
but seting that bitmask different for directories (dmask) and files
(fmask).

I known smbfs filesystem supports that options, and, in my Mandrake
system, vfat also does. Have they, maybe, patched the kernel for the
vfat support?

Fernando Arbeiza
Cantabria, Spain

P.S. Thanks, and go on with LFS, please. I'm having great times
installing it.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org