Problem with Tar

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Oct 1 12:45:33 PDT 2001

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 08:38:34PM +0100, David Jackson wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've now finished installing LFS 3.0-RC1 using Mandrake 7.2 as the host
> system thanks to a little help from you.
>
> I have however found a problem with tar.  It seems to hang the shell i.e. it
> does nothing and the only way I can get it to stop doing nothing is to do a
> Ctrl-C.  However it does work on bz2 files when used in conjunction with
> bzcat.  I have tried to reinstall but get the same results.
>
> Any ideas?

How are you invoking tar? A common mistake is people forgetting the 'f'
option. Without 'f' tar will read from stdin, as happens in the
	bzcat file.tar.bz2 | tar xv
construction ('v' here is verbose, so you can see what it is unpacking and
where).

If you want to operate directly on a file, use the 'f' option which means
'file', like: tar xvfy file.tar.bz2 or xvfz file.tar.gz

> Buy the way thought I'd let you know how much I've enjoyed building my LFS
> system.  Possibly the most rewarding and educational thing I've done with
> Linux since getting interested in the whole thing.

Great, glad to hear you like it!

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org