problem while killing processes when halting or rebooting lfs

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Oct 1 10:09:34 PDT 2001

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 01:19:36AM +0200, Sébastien HINDERER wrote:
> Hi listers,
>
>   I'm very happy with my newly installed 3.0 LFS.
> I've just a little problem:
> when I halt or reboot the system, I've the feeling that not every processes
> are successfully killed. Indeed, my braille daemon, brltty, that is loaded
> before any other script in /etc/init.d/rcS is not killed. Normally, I should
> read on my braille display "BRLTTY terminating", but this message does not
> appear, so I think the daemon is not killed.
> Could someone tell me what I should do, please ?

Do you have a stop script in /etc/rc0.d and /etc/rc6.d that should kill it?
During shutdown all the K* scripts will be run from rc0.d or rc6.d and if
all K* scripts are run, it will forcefully kill all the remaining scripts
(first nicely with a regular "kill" but if that didn't do the trick, it'll
do a "kill -9" which will terminate the program no matter what).

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org