"chroot" problem

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Fri Nov 30 16:08:44 PST 2001

On 1 Dec 2001, at 1:44, Peter Varbanov wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to build a LFS system using RedHat 6.1 as host . I followed all
> the steps as described in the book and everything goes fine until I have to
> mount the proc fs on the $LFS partition. I tried (as the book tells me)
> with " mount $LFS/proc -t proc" but the program just prints some usage
> examples and options. Then I add the line " none    $LFS/proc    proc
> defaults    0 0 " to the /etc/fstab file and with "mount $LFS/proc" it
> seems to work fine... Then I have to run "chroot" but when I type (by the
> book again) " chroot $LFS /usr/bin/env -i HOME=/root TERM=$TERM /bin/bash
> --login " it prints the following : ... cannot execute /usr/bin/env : No
> such file or directory now this is strange because there is such file.

Note that although the command uses /usr/bin/env rather than
$LFS/usr/bin/env  (there is a space between $LFS and /usr/bin/env, so
these are separate arguments), the file that is needed is actually
$LFS/usr/bin/env. Check if it exists and is statically linked:

file $LFS/usr/bin/env

will tell you. I'm willing to bet that it either doesn't exist or is not
statically linked.

> Then
> I ran " chroot $LFS " and I get into chroot'ed environement with the "I
> have no name!" prompt. But then I can't execute no program. Not even
> /usr/bin/env...It just kepps on telling me " No such file or directory"
> while the file is present. I guess there's something wrong, I mean this is
> not the way things should go is it? Please help me , I any one has an idea
> of misht be the reason.

>Please note that I've done EXACTLY what the book
> told me to,

:-)  Yes, sure you did ;-) They _always_ say that. And in the end it turns
out they made a typo. The reliability of the LFS 3.0 book is an order of
magnitude higher than the typing skills of any mortal on earth.

MSB

----
In allen Kulturen haben Muetter ihre Babys mit Vorgekautem
von Mund zu Mund gefuettert.
Bis vor kurzem sogar noch in Schleswig-Holstein.

Irenaeus Eibl-Eibesfeldt im SZ Magazin, No.28

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org