extreme newbie

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Fri Nov 30 03:59:37 PST 2001

On 29 Nov 2001, at 21:01, Miles Raymond wrote:

> Does this group tolerate newbie questions?  (this is long... =)

Certainly.

> I'm a newbie to Linux, and a few sites have suggested LFS as my first
> install, saying that I will learn a lot about Linux, and hopefully not be a
> newbie for long.

Happy learning.

> I started with a Debian distro, w/o a GUI (only 300MB HD) and got that
> working (RedHat wouldn't boot from the HD, and I couldn't figure out why...
> it also wasted a LOT of space...) on a K6-2 550 so that I can put in the HD
> from my 486, and use the K6-2 for compiling.  I've been reading the cvs
> book online, and doing the actions along with the book, but I got stuck
> when installing diffutils I didn't know what glibc version Debian had, so I
> did the first choice: export CPPFLAGS=-Dre_max_failures=re_max_failures2 &&
> ./configure --prefix=$LFS/usr && unset CPPFLAGS && make LDFLAGS=-static &&
> make install and got the error: (after a lot of scrolled text) gcc -o diff
> -g -O -static diff.o analyze.o cmpbuf.o dir.o io.o util.o context.o ed.o
> ifdef.o normal.o side.o fnmatch.o getopt.o getopt1.o regex.o version.o
> /usr/lib/libc.a(regex.o)(.data+0x4): multiple definition of
> `re_max_failures' regex.o:/mnt/lfs/usr/src/cvs/diffutils-2.7/regex.c:112:

*sigh* The re_max_failures typo disease seems to have struck. I have
already told multiple people over the last 2 weeks that if they get this
error, then no matter what they believe they typed, it was not the
commands from the book. At least you didn't start off your mail with "I
followed the book exactly"
:-)
If you follow the commands from the book to the letter, there is no
conceivable way to get the above error message, because the CPPFLAGS=..
sets up a define that replaces "re_max_failures" with "re_max_failures2"
(you could also use "foo_bar_whatever") before the compilation stage even
sees the code. So if you get an error message that includes
"re_max_failures", it means that the replacement did not take place.
So you made a typo (maybe you forgot the 2, or the "-" or you inserted a
space at some place). Delete the source tree (IMPORTANT!) and try again.
The commands WILL WORK when typed correctly (cut and paste is preferable
or extract the command with a text editor and use as script).

> Sorry for being a Windows user, but everyone has to start somewhere, and at
> least I'm trying to learn...

Why's everybody apologizing for being a Windows user? I am a Windows user
and I don't feel the need to apologize to anyone.

MSB

----
Digitize if possible - Eradicate if necessary!

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org