extreme newbie

Miles Raymond m_rayman at bigfoot.com
Thu Nov 29 19:01:05 PST 2001

Does this group tolerate newbie questions?  (this is long... =)

I'm a newbie to Linux, and a few sites have suggested LFS as my first install, saying that I will
learn a lot about Linux, and hopefully not be a newbie for long.

I started with a Debian distro, w/o a GUI (only 300MB HD) and got that working (RedHat wouldn't boot
from the HD, and I couldn't figure out why... it also wasted a LOT of space...) on a K6-2 550 so
that I can put in the HD from my 486, and use the K6-2 for compiling.  I've been reading the cvs
book online, and doing the actions along with the book, but I got stuck when installing diffutils I
didn't know what glibc version Debian had, so I did the first choice:
export CPPFLAGS=-Dre_max_failures=re_max_failures2 &&
./configure --prefix=$LFS/usr &&
unset CPPFLAGS &&
make LDFLAGS=-static &&
make install
and got the error: (after a lot of scrolled text)
gcc -o diff -g -O -static diff.o analyze.o cmpbuf.o dir.o io.o util.o context.o
ed.o ifdef.o normal.o side.o fnmatch.o getopt.o getopt1.o regex.o version.o
/usr/lib/libc.a(regex.o)(.data+0x4): multiple definition of `re_max_failures'
regex.o:/mnt/lfs/usr/src/cvs/diffutils-2.7/regex.c:112: first defined here
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [diff] Error 1
So then I tried the second option:
./configure --prefix=$LFS/usr &&
make LDFLAGS=-static &&
make install
and got the same (or very similar) error... =(

So... I started looking at the http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/view/cvs/chapter01/maillists.html
page and picked this mailing list as the best to ask this question.  And through a little spare
time, read through the http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-support/2001/09/
archives and came across
http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-support/2001/09/0095.html and it's response
that basically suggests not cross-compiling... =(

So, my new question is: if I can somehow get my 486 to recognize an 8GB HD and install Debian, is it
wise to install Debian on the end of the drive so that my LFS partition (when it is made) is on the
beginning of the drive like an OS should be?  I couldn't find out how much space the whole
installation would take... (would 2GB be enough for everything?  I can see that it's already up to
610MB, and I'm only on diffutils which is the 4th (out of 17?) in the list...)

The whole reason for doing all this is because I want a relatively small (no GUI or anything) Linux
on my 486 to act as a router/DHCP server to the house LAN from our cable modem.  I know that I could
just go out and buy a $100 cable/modem router, but I also want to host an http/ftp server.  My
friend might also want to put his MUD on there... but he's not sure yet.

Sorry for being a Windows user, but everyone has to start somewhere, and at least I'm trying to
learn...

-Miles Raymond      EML: m_rayman at bigfoot.com
AIM: Killer2Ray     ICQ: 13217756       IRC: Killer2
WWW: http://www.bigfoot.com/~m_rayman

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org