GCC-2.95.3 (Chap6) error messages

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Thu Nov 29 12:33:32 PST 2001

On 29 Nov 2001, at 12:45, Hans-Michael Kirr wrote:

> Hello Everybody,
>
> I followed the hint of keeping chapter 5 and chapter 6 separate. Therefor I
> tried to install GCC-2.95.3 in chapter 6 right after glibc-2.2.4

Did you build a static version of findutils in chapter 5? It may be needed
for building gcc.

>(and
> creating devices) and got the following error messages: .... Bootstrap
> comparison failure!

It seems unlikely that this is related to the hint. I think it is more
probable that you did not build a package in chapter 5 properly. Maybe
your diffutils are not statically linked (that would cause a comparison to
fail). You should try

find $LFS/static/bin $LFS/static/usr/bin -type f -exec file {} \; | less -

and see if every ELF executable is statically linked.

> I continued

It's no use to continue when building gcc fails.

> Shouldn't I follow this hint as a LFS Newbie?

As I said, I think it is unlikely that the hint is to blame. But if this
is your very first LFS build you should probably not use hints as
intrusive as this one. BTW, I have submitted a MUCH improved version of
this hint just today (should show up in the hints archive in a few days
and I will also post it to lfs-dev), so you should throw away the old crap
that you have.

MSB

----

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org