static build of SysVinit

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Thu Nov 29 02:09:55 PST 2001

On 28 Nov 2001, at 23:02, Carsten P. Gehrke wrote:

> Hello Gentle Readers,
>
> Is it possible to build the SysVinit package without using shared
> libraries, i.e. statically?  I've looked in the Makefile and see a STATIC
> variable, but it is used only for the init program.  Should I try LDFLAGS?
> If so, what value do I set it as?  The other packages built statically in
> Chap. 5 seem to use a -static flag, but the man page for ld indicates it
> should be -Bstatic.

You should ask yourself if you really need a battleship like sysvinit. You
know, you could just use a simple shell script as init that launches the
services you want. Or a Perl script if that suits you better. There is no
requirement for init to be a binary of any kind in general or sysvinit in
particular. You could also check out old versions of simpleinit (before
util-linux-2.10q) when it was still simple.

MSB

----
Digitize if possible - Eradicate if necessary!

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org