static build of SysVinit

Carsten P. Gehrke Carsten at mail.rollinghorse.com
Wed Nov 28 23:02:44 PST 2001

Hello Gentle Readers,

Is it possible to build the SysVinit package without using shared
libraries, i.e. statically?  I've looked in the Makefile and see a STATIC
variable, but it is used only for the init program.  Should I try
LDFLAGS?  If so, what value do I set it as?  The other packages built
statically in Chap. 5 seem to use a -static flag, but the man page for ld
indicates it should be -Bstatic.

Background:  I'm trying to build Linux from scratch on a development
machine using a Pentium.  What I want is just enough of the system to get
my target machine running dual Pentium Pros up.  Then I'll move the LFS
sources to the target, and start over again.  The issues of cross-compiling
(using an i586 for an i686 target) are not adequately addressed in the LFS
book, so that's why I'm going this route.  I can see no point in trying to
install a commercial distribution on the target only to obliterate it with
LFS later.  My goal is a bootable boot + root floppy pair, with possibly a
utilities disk for programs that don't fit on the root floppy.

I have already built all the programs in Chapter 5 on my development
system, as well as a boot floppy which works.  All I need now are the
programs for the root disk, primarily init, agetty, and login.

TIA,
Carsten
                             Carsten P. Gehrke
                      mailto:Carsten at RollingHorse.com