Trouble w/ sed in Fileutilis Install

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Nov 27 15:08:47 PST 2001

On Tue, 27, Nov, 2001 at 11:01:54PM +0000, Mark Hymers spoke thus..
> On Tue, 27, Nov, 2001 at 05:39:31PM -0500, Casey Bralla spoke thus..
> > I realize this is probably a stupid question {"There are not stupid
> > questions...  Only stupid people who ask them"} but here goes...
> >
> > Make bombs compiling fileutils, yielding error 1 and complaining about the
> > symbol "atexit".  I presume this is because SuSE 7.2 used a newer version of
> > glibc .  Therefore, I used tried the commands listed in the lfs book, namely:
> >

> > cp lib/Makefile.in lib/Makefile.in.backup &&
> > sed -e 's/\(.*\)\(fopen-safer\.c \)\\/\1\2atexit.c \\/' \
> > 	-e 's/\(.*\)\(idcache\$U\.\$.*\)\\/\1\2atexit$U.$(OBJEXT) \\/' \
> > 	lib/Makefile.in > lib/Makefile.in~ &&
> > mv lib/Makefile.in~ lib/Makefile.in
> >

> > Unfortunately, this bombs with the error "can't read -e: No such file or
> > directory"
> Hmmm... Did you copy and paste the commands or type them by hand?  I
> know they work if you copy and paste them so I'm tempted to suggest that
> you may have made a typing error.  Perhaps if you try again with them it
> may work.. In case it doesn't, I've attached a file to this email which
> is the lib/Makefile.in file with the sed already applied.  Just replace
> the lib/Makefile.in file in your fileutils source tree with the one I've
> attached and you should be able to skip straight to the ./configure bit.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Mark
>
> PS - Actually, the sed only alters two lines (- = before sed, + = after):
>
> -  exclude.c filemode.c fopen-safer.c atexit.c \
> +  exclude.c filemode.c fopen-safer.c \
>
> and
>
> -hash$U.$(OBJEXT) human$U.$(OBJEXT) idcache$U.$(OBJEXT) atexit$U.$(OBJEXT) \
> +hash$U.$(OBJEXT) human$U.$(OBJEXT) idcache$U.$(OBJEXT) \

ARGHHHH!!!!  Apologies to all if that first message actually made it
onto the list.  I forgot to check the attachment size before sending;
it was 52k so I have a feeling that it may not get through.

I should have my hands cut off for sending something that size....

Anyway, Casey, you should be able to alter the file by hand if you want.
Look for the lines listed above and simply make those changes by hand if
the sed doesn't work.

Hope *this* helps...

Mark
--
Mark Hymers                                      BLFS Editor
markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org