"&&"

Todd Paul Pytel tppytel at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 27 14:07:46 PST 2001

Dustin Cook wrote:

>From: "Sven Thomas" <enarcheologos at yahoo.com>
>
>>I just started LFS and it is going resonably well.  I'm a little confused
>>
>as
>
>>to what the "&&" command/option does.  I notice it after commands such as
>>./configure and so on.  What does it do and what is the new ">" prompt
>>
>for?
>
>One post is sufficient, please.
>
>"&&" is defined on the page entitled "Installing Bash-2.05" in Chapter 5,
>and your question was also properly answered by Fernando Arbeiza a few
>minutes ago.
>
>I'm not sure what you mean by the "new ">" prompt"... could you please
>clarify that point?
>
>--
>aster

I think some more explanation is reasonably in order for "&&".
 Specifically, "returning an exit status of 0" means that the command
was successful.  This is often used with configure - you want to save
time and start typing in your next command, but if the configure fails,
starting the make is pointless.  Just as pointless is starting the make
before the configure is complete. The commands entered at the ">" prompt
basically wait in a queue.  Once the original command is executed
successfully (exit status 0) the next command in the queue is executed.

As for the location of configure - it's almost invariably in the top
level directory of the package you're building.  You use "./" in order
to specify the current directory in case there are other scripts named
configure in your path.  So if you have a source package foo.tgz in
/usr/src, first you unpack it with "tar xzvf foo.tgz", then change into
the new directory - "cd foo" - then run the configure script in that
directory - "./configure"

Hope that helps--
Todd

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org