building for lower systems

Nicholas Dille rakshas at quietu.de
Tue Nov 27 09:03:51 PST 2001

hi,

i don't know why the search engine did not yield the correct results but
let me give a brief explanation of the uname hack.

unfortunately i don't remember who brought it up the first time to give
him/her the credits for this great idea.

when compiling lfs on i686 for i586 you need to force the compile to
create correct code for i586 although it is working on i686. to achieve
this you rename /bin/uname to /bin/uname.orig (for example) and create a
small shell script in /bin/uname which replaces all occurences of i686
with i586 using sed.

hth,
nic.