Ramdisk...Help

Snakebite kjohnson at utahtelehealth.net
Mon Nov 19 09:27:14 PST 2001

Hi all,

I have a LFS cvs 20011105 system running on my machine.
Everything is working great, (I think).

My problem is this. When I try a 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ram1 bs=1k
count=4096' trying to prep a ramdisk for creation of a bootdisk I get the
following error. dd: opening '/dev/ram1' : No such device or address

Now I did the regular checks. I went to the /dev directory and did a ls -l
ram* and got this:
lrwxrwxrwx	1 root	root		4  Nov 1 20:55	ram -> ram1
brw-rw----	1 root	disk	1,	0  Nov 1 20:55	ram0
brw-rw----	1 root	disk	1,	1  Nov 1 20:55	ram1
brw-rw----	1 root	disk	1,	2  Nov 1 20:55	ram2
brw-rw----	1 root	disk	1,	3  Nov 1 20:55	ram3

Why can't I make the ramdisk? I am a very newbie to linux.

Thanks in advance...
Keenan

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org