gcc and -mcpu -march=athlon switch

Lee Harris harris.lee at ntlworld.com
Sat Nov 17 18:31:40 PST 2001

Hi all

If I compile on the mandrake 8.0 distribution I'm building LFS with, I can
use the athlon switch with -mcpu & -march. When I try with LFS get an
error during configure saying 'C compiler cannot create executables'

If I try to compile a little bit of test code

bash-2.05# cat > conftest.c << EOF

> #line 1029 "configure"
> #include "confdefs.h"
>
> main(){return(0);}
> EOF
bash-2.05# gcc -mcpu=athlon conftest.c

I get this error

cc1: bad value (athlon) for -mcpu= switch

What do I have to do or get to allow me to optimize for the athlon ?

The gnu manual at http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc_3.html#SEC35
states
---
-mcpu=cpu-type
 Assume the defaults for the machine type cpu-type when scheduling
instructions. The choices for cpu-type are `i386', `i486', `i586', `i686',
`pentium', `pentiumpro', `pentium4', `k6', and `athlon'
---

k6 works for me yet athlon doesn't ?

(I've searched on the web and Its seems lots of people can do this but I
can't find out how)

lfs-20011027

Regards
Lee