glibc compile errors / problems with different gcc versions?

Hinterleitner, Andreas Andreas.Hinterleitner at eu.sony.com
Fri Nov 16 03:19:28 PST 2001

I use the program versions of LFS 3.0.

When Slackware 7.1 (egcs-1.1.3) is my base system, after the chroot,
glibc-2.2.4 compiles okay.

When I use Slackware 8.0 instead (gcc-2.95.3), after chrooting, the
glibc-2.2.4 build stops with:

make[2]: Entering directory '/00/00-src/glibc-2.2.4/elf'
gcc -nostdlib -nostartfiles -shared -o /00/00-src/glibc-build/elf/ld.so \
            /00/00-src/glibc-build/elf/librtld.os \
            -Wl,--version-script=/00/00-src/glibc-build/ld.map
-Wl,-soname=ld-linux.so.2
/usr/bin/ld: cannot open linker script file /00/00-src/glibc-build/ld.map:
no such file or directory

ld.map does not exist, but a file ld.mapT.

Whe I start a 'configure' in the glibc-build directory and watch what
happens in this directory, I can see soon that numerous files with the
capital 'T' at the end of the file name are created. This happens when
Slackware 8.0 (gcc-2.95.3) is used.

As soon as the compiler was egcs-1.1.3 (Slackware 7.1), the filenames don't
end with the capital 'T', and the build of glibc-2.2.4 succeeds because the
linker script file is resolved correctly.

My assumption now is that egcs-1.1.3 seems to compile a statically linked
gcc on the LFS better that a later version of gcc. I experimented even with
gcc-3.0.2: I can compile this compiler for my LFS system without any
problems, as long as it has been compiled with egcs-1.1.3. The whole LFS
system can be set up using Slackware 7.1 (egcs-1.1.3), but not with
Slackware 8.0 (gcc-2.95.3) as the base system.

I now doubt that I can assume a stable system at all: I installed with
Slackware 7.1 (egcs-1.1.3) and made the so compiled LFS system my base
system. Then I tried to compile a new LFS using my old LFS as the base
system, but all I got were segfaults when calling the so compiled new
programs.

The problem seems to reside somewhere on the compiler side. I have to admit
that my LFS system compiled with Slackware 7.1 runs on a production system,
it is stable. But beware to take it as the base system for a new LFS
compilation...

On the other hand, I currently have no chance to compile LFS with another
base system.

Any ideas?

Andreas

This email and any response may be monitored by Sony UK. If you have received this transmission in error, please contact our Helpdesk by email on  isse.helpdesk at eu.Sony.com.
(6)